Monday, August 13, 2012

Aloha 'Oe (Farewell to Thee)

August 13, 2012

Aloha awakea! (Good Mid-day!)

Welcome to my last day in Hawaii. I woke up at 6:30 and moved my suitcase and the last of my gifts to send home downstairs to an empty room. I spent the morning organizing and packing those gifts and getting them ready for the post office. I was going to take them as a carry on, but I really don't want to have to haul stuff around airports. I placed a bag that will work as a carry on in the top of my luggage in case it is over 50 lbs. If so I will pull out that bag, and i have a few items that I know are a bit heavy to throw in there which should keep my checked bag under 50 lbs. Since I only have my backpack I can then take those overweight items as my carry on luggage. So I have a plan. I sincerely hope it is under 50 lbs though so I don't have to bother carrying the extra bag around during my trip.

Ann e-mailed and we made plans for Lisa, Ann and I to go have lunch. They were very nice and took me to the post office so I could mail my packages. I sent a big heavy box home to distribute amongst many people. I also sent boxes to Debbie and my mom as well as Kate and her crew ;)  So as I said in messages to them, "When you receive a box that looks like it was packed by a drunk hippie, that's from me". I appreciate Ann helping me get the boxes to the car and into the post office.

After the post office we went to Dillingham Saimin in Kalihi. I had the special saimin bowl. It is saimin noodles in broth, with won tun, sliced fish cake and 2 tempura shrimp. I added Chinese hot mustard sauce and shoyu. It was very good and only $8.95. I couldn't possibly finish my food. I felt bad for leaving so much but I couldn't exactly bring it back to eat later.

Once we finished we drove me back home but stopped along the way at Emily's office so I could get the bag from her that I left in her car after the ballet. Those are small items I can put in my backpack for the trip. She also gave me a neat shirt :) I will miss her so much!

They dropped me off at home and I said my last goodbye to Lisa (for this trip). I certainly am going to stay in touch. I will miss her a lot! Not to mention I will miss Papa George so much as well. I have been so very lucky with everyone I have met here and been able to get to know.

I have been entering these last blog entries while sharing a cup of tea with Yu, one of my housemates. This tea is utterly delightful. I got a photo of the package so I could try to find it when I get home. This reminds me of the very nice people I have met here in the house. I was very fortunate to find this place. Again, I am thankful for the people I have met here at the house and hope to stay in contact with as well.

I will shower, change into clean comfortable traveling clothes and pack my laptop in about an hour. Ann will be here to pick me up for the airport at around 6pm. She will drop me off and I can say goodbye to her then. Ann is the person who wrote the proposal to even ask for an intern, she has been my preceptor and friend while I have been here. I know that we will also stay in touch when I go home.

I will make a quick separate post with my flight itinerary then be ready to pack up the laptop. I have been asked by Jane at work to continue the blog for a it after I get home so people here can see pictures and what life is like back home. I said I'd continue for a month - I figure people will be bored at looking at my everyday stuff by then!

As a final goodbye for my Hawaii friends and those of you who have read this blog and known me I will share some contact information. Please feel free to e-mail me anytime. It is by far the best way to reach me. Tell me how you are and if there is anything in particular you'd like to see on the blog. I will be hoping to hear from you.

e-mail: mmbrowncma@gmail.com

Mahalo nui loa, E pili mau na pomaika`i ia `oe, and Me ka aloha pumehana.
(Thank you very much, May Blessings ever be with you, and with kindest regards, warm aloha.)

Aloha 'Oe (Farewell to Thee) the famous piece by Queen Liliʻuokalani's most famous song and a fitting end to the blog entries for Hawaii. The video shows lovely images from all the islands.

Aloha wau ia 'oe Hawaii... (I love you Hawaii...)
~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment