Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Tuesday (Part 2): Sweet Home Waimanalo and work

July 31, 2012

We arrived at a restaurant called Sweet Home Waimanalo. Sweet Home Waimanalo (this is their website link) is a small locally owned and run restaurant and shop. They have a rooftop garden and grow a lot of their own organic food. They also buy local organic food to use. They use biodegradable dishes, cups and utensils. It is just nice to eat and not feel bad that I am filling a landfill with plastic. They had a lovely mural on the side of the building.



Lisa got the kalua pork sandwich which comes with bok choy slaw. She got a side order of corn on the cob. I had a taste of the kalua pork and it was very good and smoky flavored.

Ann got the beef brisket on a demi baguette which came with bok choy slaw. She also got the hibiscus lemonade with mint. I tried a sip of the hibiscus lemonade. It was good but a little flowery tasting for my liking - I have to admit it is a neat idea and it was tasty to try.


I got the salmon burger which came with bok choy slaw. I didn't like the bok choy slaw at all - very bland but at least it was super fresh and crunchy. The salmon burger was AMAZING - by far the best i have ever had. It was served on a whole grain bun with cucumber slices, shiso leaves (a really great herb that to me tastes like a cross between basil and marjoram. There was a thin slice of grilled pineapple and very mild wasabi mayo. The salmon burger itself was not "fishy" tasting. Instead it has a mellow taste of good salmon, finely ground and mixed with a bit of curry and some other herbs and spices I couldn't identify. It was a bit crumbly and had a very thin crisp crust on the grilled patty - maybe mixed with some very finely ground corn meal or something similar? I got a side order of corn on the cob which was super sweet and juicy. I really like fresh corn and was happy to have added it on. I ordered the ginger honey mint lemonade and it was fantastic. I am REALLY going to miss all the fresh lemon juice lemonade when I go home.
 The shiso leaves are on the left on top of the bun. It was a very delicious addition.


We finished eating and got back on the road to the office. Here are some photos from the drive back. We had a rousing discussion about education and math, science and critical thinking skills. I am going to miss having such great discussions with Ann and Lisa.


 The water is on the right, but we were on the way back, I think the road curves around a bay and crosses a bridge over the bay water or something.

We stopped at a roadside stand where a Hawaiian man was using a machete to cut open green coconuts. I took video of this process.

This was the opened coconut with a straw in the hole to drink the coconut water.

Ann and I shared the coconut water. It was not as strong tasting as when the coconuts are older. Then once we'd finished the water the man cut it open so we could get to the inside. It was young enough to have the soft gelled young coconut flesh they call "spoon meat" here. It has a consistency a lot like soft jello. I took more video.

After this we went back to work. I went and started working on more editing for the DVFR. An office issue arose that derailed my progress for the rest of the afternoon. However, something good has come of this event. I am moving offices down to the empty office right next to Ann's. This was Rose Marie's office but she isn't here right now. That will save me a LOT of walking down the long hallway each day when Ann and I have questions or need to talk to each other. Since I didn't have a phone and we were on opposite ends of the hall my ankle was getting quite sore from the repeated trips.

So, tomorrow hopefully my computer will be moved and I can get back to work on this report. I am not very experienced with writing data analysis reports yet so I am a bit slow on this process. The plan is to get this report finished and sent out for draft review by supervisors this week. That way I can spend my final week fine tuning or finding lit review sources so we can see about also adapting the report into a publishable article. Lots to do so I hope I get my computer back up and running as early as possible tomorrow.

I am phenomenally stressed at this point and am looking forward to being done and going home. I will recall the wonderful adventures, the amazing plants and scenery, and just the incredible experience of a lifetime. I will also use this experience to think very seriously about what the future holds and try to make decisions to minimize similar situational stresses.

How about a little soothing music to end this busy and stressful day?


Aloha ahiahi, (Good evening)
~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment