Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Big Island Trip Part 3 - heli tour and food

July 20, 2012

Once we reached Hilo we drove through the city briefly then headed for the airport. It was getting close to 2pm and we had to check in at 2:15 for our helicopter tour. We decided on Blue Hawaiian Helicopters due to their excellent quality tours and safety ratings. We were taking the Circle of Fire and Waterfalls tour. We decided to take the Eco-Star helicopter since it was roomier (Romi is claustrophobic) and quieter (I can't deal with excessive noise). It is normally $240.90 ($285 after taxes) but Romi is a AAA member and with her discount we got the tour for $200 each! GREAT savings! I know it is still expensive but I can't hike the park and get to the volcanoes so this was the only way for me to see them. I have nearly a hundred photos and will post more in another entry but here are some of them to give an idea of the tour. I also got the video of our actual tour and will share that with folks when I get home.

The Hilo airport. Packed isn't it?
 Ready to go!Lets go lets go lets go!!!!! I was a bit eager! :)

Romi strapped in and ready to go.She was terrified but determined!
 Me ready to go. That yellow square is a life preserver on a belt you are required to wear in case you have to ditch the helicopter over the ocean.They did tell us MULTIPLE TIMES not to pull the emergency latch on the front right door. Apparently someone did this over one of the volcanoes and their door is still down there somewhere waiting to be covered by lava. :)
 A beautiful view of the ocean and some macadamia nut farms.
 Clouds. You can see the path of some cooled lava below, and to the right side where trees are trying to reclaim some of the land.
 That is lava in the opening in this volcanic vent.
 Some small lava flows that just started this morning. We were lucky to see a fresh flow just breaking through. The pressure had been building for days and finally broke through this morning.
 Rainforest on the left. Farms and homes can be seen in the distance and right.
 One of the waterfalls on the tour.
 A lovely view of the turquoise ocean.
 After the tour, the helicopter int he background. WOOHOO! So amazing.
 Inside the airport at Hilo there are these small gardens placed in different locations. Just like the Kona airport it is all open to the outside. 
 Another small garden inside the airport. It is a VERY common thing on the long stretches of black lava rock for people to create memorials and images from white rocks. A lot of memorials for lost loved ones, messages of love, initials, peace signs and religious phrases dot the landscape. I mean really, what else do you do with thousands of acres of black rock? You make it into art!

After we left the airport we were hungry. We had a recommendation to go try Hilo Bay Cafe. It was GREAT. We got there in the late afternoon so were able to eat from the afternoon menu.

We both started with Plantation iced tea which is pineapple juice in tea. It is a big thing here and we both wanted to try it. It was good but rather odd.
 Next I had a bowl of the tomato polenta bisque soup. FREAKING AWESOME. I want to learn to make this. So incredibly tasty.
 Romi had ahi poke with okinawan sweet potato chips. This had sesame oil on the ahi (considered Hawaiian style poke I've been told) and was great. I had my reservations but poke was on my list of Hawaiian things to try. I expected it to be slimy but it wasn't at all. It was firm and delicious.
 Some artwork on the walls. It reminded me of Rob's drawings. Romi and I started talking about art and I got Rob to send some of his one-line drawings to my phone. Romi loved thema nd wants to commission him to do some art for her! Regardless I liked these so I took photos so i wouldn't forget them.





After eating we left the restaurant and I saw this car in the parking lot. I was thinking of Scott and Michael so took a photo. Thought they might like it. Plus the bright yellow reminds me of Scott's Miata.

We got back on the road and completed the rest of the trip around the island. This included a visit to a black sand beach, which will come in another post.


To be continued...

Aloha!
~Melissa

1 comment:

  1. So, have you eaten any poi ?? I have always wondered what poi tastes like.

    ReplyDelete