Sunday, July 29, 2012

Big Island Trip Part 6 - Sheraton Keauhou Bay

July 21, 2012

So Saturday I checked to see if I could take the chocolate class but it was full. I planned to go join it after lunch but I ended up taking a short nap instead. I spent the day exploring around the resort. We were staying at the Sheraton Keauhou Bay resort and it was GORGEOUS. I checked out the spa first. I didn't end up getting any spa services but I got to see where they do the massages, on a lanai overlooking the ocean. I talked to the massage therapist there at the time about his wonderful "office" and how nice that must be to look out on each day.

I took a lot of photos of the grounds.

This was the view from the lanai of the room. 



 This was some artwork as you stepped off the elevator on the ground level.
 I took a long slow leisurely stroll around the grounds. I would walk a bit, then stop and rest my ankle.
 The ash and toxic substances that are put into the air from the volcanoes are very toxic. The plants struggle to survive. As the toxic substances start to kill off the trees and plants they start gradually turning white and the leaves and flowers start to look sickly. You can see this happening on the large stretches of lava rock out by the roads. I saw this on the grounds and it seemed like this tree/bush (whatever it is) was slowly turning into a ghost. This reminds me of all the flora that tries to survive despite the volcanoes toxic effects. As spiritual and superstitious as the island folks have been through the centuries I can only imagine they see these plants giving their life to try to purify the air and provide life in the lava rock to create soil.


 These were seen frequently. The dots are raised on the leaves. They feel like braille.


 This is a carving in the main lobby area. This lobby is of course open to the air. The carving was lovely and I wanted to remember this art.


 This is the entry to the dining room.

 Pink Ginger. As I have said before, only in Hawaii do the flowers have flowers.


I also sat on some of the black lava rocks overlooking the ocean and took some videos. They are short, but it was my favorite view and I wanted to remember it. Here are photos and video of the lava rocks and the ocean on the shore.










After I enjoyed watching the ocean I met up with Romi after her chocolate class and we went out to get dinner.

To be continued...

Aloha!
~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment