Sunday, July 1, 2012

Quiet day and the adventures of public transit

June 30, 2012

I did absolutely nothing today. I sprawled on my bed trying to rest my ankle. Hula was a lot of fun but it was possibly the worst idea that I have had in a long time. My ankle has gone from "Ouch this is tender, I should wrap it and rest it some" to "OMG THIS HURTS, don't even THINK of using it". In short (and less dramatic means) I've hurt it more and it is painful.

Today is the last day on my buss pass also. I need to figure out a way to get somewhere to get a new bus pass tomorrow. That should be interesting.

I had some tea this morning, then snacked a bit on the buffalo jerky and dried tart cherries Jeff sent. This was topped off with snacking on the shrimp chip crackers off and on all day. I watched most of a season of Angel on Netflix and napped. Those shrimp chip crackers are FREAKING AWESOME. They don't taste like shrimp. They are a lot like a muncho but a LOT less salty. They are a deep fried tapioca starch with a little flavor and are really really good. I ate the whole bag today. I'd feel bad but it's a whole bag of puffed air basically, so it isn't like it was a lot :)

So since I did nothing of any interest today I wanted to take this time to tell you about the bus.

The bus here goes just about everywhere. The buses are inexpensive compared to owning a car, so a lot of people take them - especially the poor, disabled and elderly. Having never been dependent on a bus to get anywhere I find it a unique experience. Waiting on the bus I get instantly bored and aggravated, which is from being spoiled by having a car to just get in and go immediately for most of my life. I am learning patience. Or perhaps I am just learning how to enjoy my kindle app on my smartphone.

Regardless, the bus arrives and you have to be looking at it for it to stop usually. If you are looking away or facing the other direction, for example, it assumes you are a homeless person or are catching a different bus and doesn't always stop. If the bus is full, it doesn't always stop. So, it is in your best interest to be aware and stand up when you see the bus number coming. Each stop usually has multiple bus numbers (different routes) stop there, so knowing which number to look for is important. The problem is, the number is in the top left of the front window when you are looking at the bus from the front. However, there is ALSO a number in the bottom left of that window. It is VERY confusing for people new to the area to figure out which number they are supposed to look at. Also, you have to know which direction you need to catch the bus. For example, bus 3 goes to Ala Moana Center and the downtown area from where I live. For that I catch the #3 Salt Lake bus. To come home I catch the #3 also, but the sign on it could read Koko Head, Kaimuki, or Ruger. If you don't know what or where these things are it makes it very difficult.

Once the bus stops they try to let passengers disembark first, then you QUICKLY get onto the bus. Put your $2.50 for adults into the change and dollar machine, drop your transfer pass into the bag, or flash them your bus pass. Flashing the pass is much faster and easier because of what is coming. It absolutely sucks if you have crinkled dollar bills and are standing there trying to feed them into the machine.

Why? Because as soon as the last person gets onto the bus and the driver sees some variety of payment or pass they close the doors and take off. You better hope and pray you are seated or holding onto something. Standing there trying to feed in crinkled dollar bills is a nightmare while the bus is lurching off and you are trying to stand there. The seats for the elderly and disabled are at the front of the bus, thankfully. Once they shut the door is is the pedal tot he floor and the bus takes off. You see people stumbling and being flung towards the back of the bus. Little old ladies with canes trying not to be flung onto their faces in the walkway. It is nuts. I've never seen anything like it. Now I have heard that every bus isn't like that, but every one I've taken so far is like that. Usually people help the disabled and elderly into their seats to make sure they get there before falling flat from the speedy gonzales bus driver. Also, people are VERY quick to stand and offer seats to elderly. Sometimes women but not always. It is nice that the people watch out for their elderly here though, says a lot about them.

To get off the bus you pull the cord when the bus is between the stop before and your stop. You need to listen carefully to the announcing and hopefully there is a sign that scrolls the location coming up also. Not all buses have the sign. So you yank the cord and the sign changes to "Stop Requested". This is helpful if you requested the stop. Not so much if you missed it beforehand and need to know what the next stop IS going to be.

Usually when you are coming to your stop you stand up and head toward a door at the front or back of the bus. Again, trying desperately to not be flung forward or back and usually not succeeding. The bus pulls into the stop and you had better be ready to get off the bus immediately or they just go on. The back door is a push to open type door that locks when the bus is in motion. It also doesn't stay open long and frequently closes on you when you are going through it. This causes ensuing yelling as the person in the door is yelling at the bus driver. People get off the bus and everyone rushes to get on. Then you stand back and watch through the windows as those people are flung towards the back of the bus when the driver puts the gas pedal to the floor to take off.

They do have bike racks on the front of the buses but I have no idea how they work. Given the kamikaze nature of the bus drivers I have no idea how someone manages to get their bike on or off the rack without dying. However, maybe it is enough of something different that the driver actually pays attention.

Let me just say, riding the bus is an experience. It is just fine when you're healthy and stable on your feet. It SUCKS when you are carrying groceries or are unsteady on your feet. All in all though, I have to say if all of those people were driving cars the traffic would be a bigger nightmare. Traffic is a serious issue here, and driving in rush hour is a problem. I hear there is a light rail system under discussion but there are mixed views regarding that. The foundations are being laid, but I don't know if there are plans to finish it or scrap the project.

So, that is the adventure of rising the bus here. So now you know what joys there are to be had when I mention I caught the bus somewhere.

Aloha!
~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment