Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pau Hana, Hank's Haute Dogs, and changing stories

June 22, 2012

I slowly made my way into work this morning. My ankle is quite painful. The ACE wrap helps while walking a lot. I went in a bit later, at 8 instead of 7, but I knew I'd be staying a bit later anyway at the end of the day. It is FRIDAY!!!!!

Today was data data data. Sorting through data to set up charts, graphs, and just determining what is significant and what is not. data is a tricky thing and not as straightforward as it seems. It is not just counting 1, 2, 3... it is determining what SHOULD be counted, and what it is compared to... a number that seems significant when compared to what is normal may not be significant after all. We are starting to look into population totals for the state of Hawaii and the counties. The problem is the numbers we are working with for comparison are small, so anything seems significant and we are trying to be very careful not to make a mountain out of a molehill.

For lunchtime Ann needed to go to the post office to pick up a package. She offered to drive me home to get my items and take me to the post office where I could get a box to put it all into. My original plan was to separate everything into small baggies so everyone at home could try some of everything. Then people could let me know what they liked and I could bring home bigger bags for them, while not bringing what nobody liked. However, my ankle has been quite painful and I am a wimp. I didn't want to open the sealed bags too soon and risk things getting stale. However, the last 2 nights I was in a lot of pain and didn't feel up to arranging everything. So here is the new plan: I shipped everything home to my house. It should arrive Monday. From there, Scott, Michael, Jeff and Rob you all need to congregate and separate things, or try things and send the rest home with whomever likes the items. There is a variety of macadamia nuts, candies and other consumable items. I apologize for not getting it separated. There are a couple of things specifically for one or two people, I'll clarify once the package arrives.

So witht he packaged shipped we headed to lunch. Ann wanted to go to Hank's Haute Dogs. This place has gourmet hot dogs and was on Man vs. Food and Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (DDD)on the Food Network. I thought my foodie friends would especially like to hear about this place. They have normal hot dogs and specialty dogs like chorizo, brats, and anduille sausages. They also have daily special sausages that range from wild boar, chicken , buffalo, lobster,  to duck sausage with foie gras. They also serve twice cooked fries, onion rings, black truffle mac-n-cheese and french fries cooked in duck fat.

Ann got the 2 mini dog combo with onion rings (made with Maui onions) and a hibiscus lemonade.

Lisa got the Chicago dog with double cooked fries and soda. The pickle (along the top, kindof looks like bun in this photo) was sprinkled with celery salt, which was SUPER GOOD. Lisa let Ann and I split the pickle :)

I got the daily special - a Fat Boy Lobster Dog, double cooked fries and hibiscus lemonade. A fat bog dog is any of the hot dogs wrapped in bacon and deep fried. HEHEHE. I couldn't resist. I mean, seriously? The lobster dog is lobster, scallops and fish all shredded and made into a sausage. The was wrapped in bacon and deep fried. I couldn't imagine finding this ANYWHERE else, so I had to try it. It was AWESOME. The hibiscus lemonade was also very good. The hibiscus was mild, adding a delightful flavor but not making it taste perfume-like.




I took these while waiting for the food. The kitchen and prep area. Also a Spam lamp... I couldn't believe it.


So the work week has ended... so what does that mean??? PAU HANA!!!!!! We went to Sam Choi's!

We had a ton of appetizers: salad, spicy edamame (the spicy dipping sauce was on the side so it was optional), chicken wings (which have only salt and pepper - no sauce!), kalua pork quesadillas and fried calamari. There is also plenty of drinks to be had. `Okole maluna (Bottoms up!) Just kidding... I didn't have any alcohol this week. Being in pain I tend to get grumpy easily and I wanted to keep my bitchy/grumpy side under control! Hehe. Actually, I just didn't want to risk getting enough ankle pain reduced that I started walking and moving on it too much and making it worse.From left to right is Ann, Barbara, Me, Momi, Lisa and Julie.


Lisa brought me home. I found out on the way that she lives fairly far away and has to backtrack to pick me up and drop me off. That makes her driving me around so much lately a real inconvenience for her. I am very very thankful for her doing so. Mahalo nui loa! (Thank you very much!)

Also I wanted to take a moment to thank Susan for everything she does - all the little things that are so thoughtful. She helped me get ice for my ankle today, she always sets aside the weekender insert for me to take home so I can know what is happening to do over the weekend. She invites me to activities like the museum, hula class and the special fundraiser her church is having this weekend. She shares her tea, brings me new foods to try, and always has a kind word. E pili mau na pomaika`i ia `oe. (May blessings ever be with you.)

The people at work are amazing. I could name so many instances where Lori has shared food or has talk story with me to make me feel welcome. Ann keeps me learning and running around. Noella has taught me many new Hawaiian words and talk story time with me. There are more people than i can name that are making this time here unforgettable. Mau loa Mahalo! (Forever thank you!)

To close I wanted to share a quote Barbara said tonight. This woman is amazing. Tonight she welcomed me to their ohana (family) and hugged me. She is so warm and welcoming, I feel so fortunate. While we were discussing project difficulties and thoughts she said, "Making a difference and changing stories is what government is all about..." That is a beautiful and true thought. Changing stories. I am working with a lot of death data. Intimate partner violence, sexual violence, fatality review data and going over countless homicides and suicides of people of all ages. I think of how so many work to change these stories. So that some people will have stories to tell, or have better stories filled with less trauma and anxiety due to the services of everyone from transportation, waste management, health, human services and many others. Reducing health disparities, chronic and acute conditions, infectious disease, improving pregnancy and birth outcomes, helping reduce deadly diseases like HIV/AIDS, and so much more every single day. All these people that work and work, thanklessly usually, to try to make the world a little better. It is easy to complain when something is inconvenient or aggravating, meanwhile these people are struggling to provide services with constant need for more money as finances are cut and staff reduced. And why? To change stories.

Aloha ahiahi, malama pono (Good evening, take care)
~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment