Saturday, May 19, 2012

An evening on the water

May 18, 2012

The second half of the day started with lunch. I was actually hungry and didn't want to wait another 6 hours to eat. So I went to Lulu's. I had a Bearded Lady Burger which is a half pound burger topped with salsa, bleu cheese crumbles, 2 fried onion rings, and of course the thousand island dressing on he bun instead of mayo (why? I don't have a clue.). I got rid of the bun anyway so it didn't matter. It came with fries, I chose volcano fries (basically cajun seasoning).

I sat at Lulu's and talked with folks and enjoyed the gorgeous view again for a couple of hours. Then I went and meandered around the shops a bit, wondering desperately why people like shopping. After I could manage no more looking at stuff i went back to where I tend to be a lot, the Aston Waikiki Beach lobby. The reason is that it is open to the air but shaded and cool, has a nifty waterfall feature that i find peaceful (I took a picture for you to see) and is where most of my tours pick me up. Please realize this ia a crappy picture and it is nice and shaded and much more vibrant.

Soon the motorcoach came to get us for the nighttime adventure. I chose Ali'i Kai Catamaran Cruises for a sunset dinner cruise tonight. I took this on arrival.

I got a huge discount because of my other touring I have done. This was the menu:

Island Salad Bar

  • Alii Kai Salad Bowl with Island Dressings 
  • Chinese Chicken Salad
  • Lomi Lomi Salmon (Diced Ripe Tomatoes with Scallions & Cured Salmon)
  • Pineapple Cole Slaw
  • Kim Chee Won Bok 
  • Chef’s Antipasti Salad
  • Fresh Maui Gold Pineapple 
  • Hawaiian Sweetbread Rolls
Entrees

  • Steamed Rice 
  • Roasted Red Potatoes & Dill
  • Steamed Fresh Vegetable Potpourri 
  • Mango Teriyaki Chicken on Chinatown Noodles
  • Hawaiian Kalua Pork with Bok Choy & Maui Onions
  • Fresh Silver Salmon on Coconut Spinach with Mandarins
And of course for dessert - pineapple upside down cake.

I took a ton of pictures of the sunset. Here are some of my favorites. (sortof a panoramic view)

A few pictures of the entertainment.

I met some great folks on this tour and we enjoyed sitting together at dinner. Being one person instead of a couple on things like this makes for interesting seating. However, I find it very easy to talk to strangers and have enjoyed meeting many new people.

After the tour ended we returned to Waikiki where I caught a cab back to my place. I got a cab driver who spoke little English. There is a HUGE number of Japanese tourists here and I am pretty sure he spoke Japanese. However, he offered to drive me then didn't understand me and got lost. Twice. I finally pulled up google maps on my phone and showed him how to get to my place. ARGH. So we FINALLY got to my place and I gave him the amount I normally pay for the trip. He can just suck up the difference because it isn't my fault he got lost. This was my first experience with an inept cab driver. I am sure it won't be the last. The guy apologized a lot and even gave me more money back. I certainly didn't argue and just smiled, wished him a good night (that he doubtless didn't understand) and took my money and went inside.

Unpack the day's bag, shower, and blog. I am now pretty darn tired. This was the last of my tourism stuff I had planned. Tomorrow is Farmer's Market and a day of rest afterwards. I need it.

Aloha auinapo oukou, (Goodnight, after midnight, to all of you)

~Melissa

3 comments:

  1. Cab drivers are cab drivers, I think that is a staple for all cities all over the world. Not quite sure why a good portion of them do not understand the language of the country/city they are working in.

    タクシーを止めてください、私は脱出しています。 - that is how you say "Please stop the taxi cab, I am getting out" in japanese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the dinner cruise looked fantastic, would have loved to try some of those noms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. errrr... That is how you WRITE it. I still don't know how to SAY it. *GRIN* Well I held my own with Mr. Taxi driver and got home for the same cost as normal. He may be pissed but who cares.

    ReplyDelete